You probably know this by now, but I have a taco addiction. If you follow me on Instagram, you might’ve seen some photos with tacos. My book is even going to have two taco recipes.
You get the point right? Now, here’s the first taco recipe of the blog. And the secret ingredient? Jackfruit.
Jackfruit is becoming very popular amongst the vegan community. There’s even new brands such as this one popping up.
Jackfruit’s flavour is quite neutral which makes it perfect for this dish. Combined with BBQ sauce and seasoning, it looks very similar to meat.
Ingredients for the filling:
- 1 can of jackfruit
- 250ml BBQ sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried chili (opcional)
- 2-3 tbsp of sliced jalapeños (opcional)
- Corn tortilhas
- Shredded purple cabage
- Mango, tomato and coriander salsa
- Remove jackfruit from the can and rinse it.
- Shred the jackfruit with a fork, until it resembles pulled meat.
- Add a pan to the heat with one tbsp of olive oil
- Once hot, add sliced onion and sautée until golden.
- Add jackfruit to the pan and let it sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Next add green onions and jalapeños (if using) and let it sit for another couple of minutes.
- Finally add both the BBQ and worcestershire sauces, spices and salt. Adjust seasoning and spiciness to taste.
- Mix everything well and add a splash of water (150-200ml) or vegetable stock. I actually like to fill my BBQ sauce jar with water and use the remaining sauce mixed with water.
- Let the mixture simmer for 10 minutes or until it absorbs all the liquid.
- Serve with corn tortilhas, mango and tomato salsa or shredded purple cabbage with vegan mayonaise.