How are you? Today I have a delicious treat for you.
Portugal has been blessed with the most amazing varieties of sweet potato. However, I recently discovered this beautiful purple sweet potato, from Canada, and knew immediately that I had to do something with it.
And now you ask: What you mean sweet potato toast? Well, I first discovered this trend on instagram. And to be honest, I was a little skeptical in the beginning. But after trying a couple of times I realised the secret was in cutting it into the right size.
Then, you just have to get creative with the toppings. Here I used avocado and hummus. However, I imagine this would go very well with peanut butter (duh), yogurt… Let’s try it?
- 1-2 large and uniform sweet potatoes
- 1 avocado
- juice of 1 lime, divided
- 1 tsp of sal
- pepper to taste
- 2-3 ripe tomatoes
- 1 bunch of coriander
- 1/2 purple onion
- 1 jalapeño
- 1/2 of lime juice
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 humus recipe (here I actually used my new recipe that will be available in the book!)
- pomegranate seeds
- sesame seeds
- Cut the sweet potato lengthwise into several slices. Each with around 2-3mm of thickness. Be careful because if they are too thin, they will burn out quickly in the toaster.
- Turn the toaster on maximum heat and put the slices for around 8-10 minutes or until cooked. In my toaster I needed to put them twice for about 4-5 minutes each time.
- While they are cooking, let’s make the toppings.
- For the green topping: smash the avocado with a fork and season with 1/2 lime juice, salt and pepper. Put aside.
- For the tomate salsa: Cut everything into small cubes and season with the rest of lime juice and again, salt and pepper.
- Once the toasts are done, spread half with the avocado + tomato salsa and the other half with the hummus, pomegranate seeds and sesame seeds.